Sunday 5 August 2012

Happy Birthday Biggest Brother

Friday August 3rd:
This morning Kaelin came to visit his baby brother at the hospital so Madden could wish him a Happy 11th Birthday!


Madden's xray this morning was better than yesterday but still not great. He still looks pretty puffy though so needs to get some fluid off.
I know that Madden likely won't be getting surgery tomorrow because he has had a rough few days and the surgeon would like to postpone it but I hadn't been told for sure yet. I the early afternoon Dr Rebekah popped into the room and told me that they weren't going to do the surgery tomorrow because he does not feel Madden is stable enough for the bypass machine. He is planning on booking him in on Wednesday also said that if need be he could move things around on Tuesday to get him in. The plan is to go in and fix the two holes in the center of Madden's heart - one between the upper chambers and one between the lower chambers. He will also do something to one of his valves to remove some obstruction. He told me that he believes this surgery is Madden't best chance, really his only chance and he thinks this will work even though his left ventricle seems quite small.
Later on Dr. Aditia came in and sat down with me to talk. He explained to me that all the cardiologists and surgeons on cardiac rounds in the morning agreed that Madden's anatomy would not support a single ventricle heart. They beleive that the two ventricle operation is his only chance. They also think it's his best chance at good long term outcomes. He also told me that the reality is that if this operation is unsucessful his only option will be a heart transplant. A newborn heart is usually at least a few months wait and we might not have that much time. The situation really sucks and I can't even bring myself to write down any of the fears I have. It's not worth it because none of them are going to come true. Madden little heart is going to thank us after this surgery for helping it function and Madden is going to start to heal. I can't wait. Hang in there baby, only a few more days.

We love you as big as the sky Madden. xox

No comments:

Post a Comment