Thursday 26 July 2012

We've gained weight!

Really...we have ALL gained weight. I am not overly happy about myself gaining weight, but Madden is weighing in a 8 lbs even now!!!  Go Madden!

It's funny because usually your baby gaining weight is something that just happens...and not something that makes you over the moon happy. For Madden to be able to survive his next surgery he needs to get bigger and stronger. "Heart babies" (what I call Madden and all his "friends") have a very hard time growing because they are sick. So Madden growing makes my family over the moon happy. And this is the first time in his little lifetime that he has actually gained weight...not just fluid. This makes today a GREAT DAY!

The last two days have been very good for Madden. We have spent a lot of time holding hands, kissing and talking...really the poor kid has no choice. It's the best feeling in the world to have him hear my voice and look for me. The bonding that happens in the hospital is a lot different than the bonding parents are able to do with their babies at home. So being able to see that he recognizes my voice makes my heart smile. He has been a lot more relaxed lately and isn't hating the breathing tube as much as he was a couple days ago. He is still draining quite a bit of fluid from his chest cavities but it is less than it was last week so they are hoping that they will be able to start him on feeds again this Monday. Today they had to TPA the left drain (which is basically like putting draino into your sink to clean it out) and then it drained 60 cc's of fluid - which in an adult would be about 2 liters.  After the fluid is drained he is usally quite a bit happier as I am sure it makes it so much easier to breathe comfortably. His arm is still really swollen but doesn't seem to be bothering him as much. The doctor thinks that he likely has a localized infection from an IV that had previously been in that arm and instead of the meds and fluid going through his veins it was draining into his tissues.

Today I received an amazingly thoughtful gift from the family in the bed beside us. They are a family of 5 from BC. Their 15 year old daughter had a heart transplant a week ago and they are all here fighting with her through her recovery. Their daughter has been through more than anyone should have to go through in their lifetime and is no doubt a miracle. While the two older daughters were in the gift store they found some stollery bracelets that said "miracles happen". They bought one for each member of their family and also bought one for me. I was incredibly touched. It's true miracles do happen. They happen every day all around me and right in front of me. My family was blessed with Madden, a sweet little miracle. Needless to say I immediately went downstairs and bought a bracelet for every member of my family as well. We are proud of our little miracle now and forever.


<--------
Kaelin on Miracle Treat Day supporting his little brother (our warrior as Kaelin calls him).


No comments:

Post a Comment