Tuesday 24 July 2012

Rocky's post

One of Rocky's posts from this morning that I want to keep...

"This may be all over the place as I will be giving info on Madden and venting.....probably all at the same time. On a major positive note Madden turned 7 weeks old yesterday and we fall more in love with him each day. This little man has taken us on a wild (not so entertaining) ride these 7 weeks and I wanna share with you my last 48 or so hours with him. Sunday morning I walked into 3 people at Maddens bedside and as I looked up his vital signs were all over the place which makes us worry. His Heart Rate was up to the 180s and his blood pressure was extremely high as well. They gave him a bunch of drugs to settle him....but nothing was working. Finally the doctor drained 65ccs of fluid which was pressing on his right lung....and within a half hour or so he was somewhat more settled. He then went on to have a great rest of Sunday and into Monday until about 630pm. At that point shortly before shift change he again started to get irritated and over the next 2.5 hrs his Heart Rate was minimum 175 and was hitting 200. Again...once the doctor was called in and after they gave him more drugs to settle....they pumped him with some fluid and all was corrected and he had a decent evening. The problem is with Madden he needs to grow so when he's working this hard he burns calories which will hinder in that growth. Their is something wrong with Madden and we were informed that today will be a busy day around his bed.
I guess I'm telling you this to kind of give you a glimpse at what carly and I deal with on not even a day by day basis...but an hourly basis. The thing about being a parent is when your child has discomfort....a fall and a bump or scraped knee...or a fever ...we pride ourselves in giving our child comfort and making them feel better. It's at this point where Carly and I feel helpless. With all the tubes it's difficult to hold him and when he's really stressed you have doctors and nurses doing their thing. You have no idea the joy when he's a little bothered and you whisper in his ear...tell him to keep fighting...tell him you love him...sing to him...rub his head..and he settles. But when the major stuff is going on you have to take a backseat and watch others try to get him settled. People often ask me how angry I am over this and Why this has happened to our family. Well to answer the why question.....we've adopted the if not us then who?. It's going to happen to someone and we were chosen for a reason. And I firmly believe we were chosen because of the wonderful friends and family we have around supporting us. To the anger question I simply offer this.....I don't think I've ever really been angry....the emotion I feel daily is sadness. I'm sad alot....and I cry over the weirdest things.
I will end with this....yesterday I was at home doing some laundry.....and for almost 3 years we've had 4 piles of clothes...mine carlys kaelins and rykers. But yesterday I had a 5th....we had some of maddens blankets we've been using at the hospital we had to get cleaned. As I sat and looked at that pile tears came to my eyes as I thought to myself that 5th pile should have sleepers and bibs and little shirts. We desperately want Madden home to have him know life outside tubes and drugs and doctors and nurses. We basically want our family of 5 to be together.
Please please keep praying for Madden as I believe with all my heart at some point he will be allowed home.....it just won't be for some months. The DeLuca family loves you all and are truly blessed to have this support given to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment