Sunday 29 July 2012

It's a guessing game

Friday night after I left the hospital Madden was miserable, he had a very rough night and needed 5 extra doses of sedatives to help him relax. The next morning they TPA'd his chest tubes and he dumped 140 cc's from the left side. He was better throughout the day. Then later into the afternoon he started to melt down again. His blood pressure was all over the place - though his art line in his right arm is very unreliable - his heart reate was nearing the 200s and his resp rate was very high. I kept saying that he was dry and needed fluid...finally 45 minutes to an hour later, they gave him fluid. He was so dry that they had to give him fluid two more times throughout the night. I was actually a little mad at myself because Friday night I knew he needed fluid and never said anything... After the fluid he was settled for the rest of the night and most of the morning. Then around lunch time the RT's came to change the tape on his ventilator and that's when things went bad. He was MAD. He cried for a good hour. His temp was up to 38.6 and all of his numbers were high. Of course the solution, more sedatives. That only pissed him off even more...until the adivan hit. Which calmed him down for a while...as soon as he woke up he was just as angry. I always wonder why we try to cover up the problem wiht more sedatives instead of trying to figure out why he is so mad...but its a guessing game. Your guess is as good as mine and my guess is as good as the doctors. It is so frustrating. Madden finally relaxed and I left for dinner. Rocky and I had dinner together at my parents place. Rocky went back to the hospital and text me, guess who was miserable again. His temperature went up to 38.9 and all his numbers were high again. They are now thinking he has another infection, this is our fourth or fifth infection. It is soo frustrating. I am not sure how Madden is going to grow when he is busy fighting infection after infection.

Madden we love you as big as the sky and will continue to fight with you. You are a strong little boy and you will get through this. xox.

No comments:

Post a Comment